Alert Level 1

New Zealand is currently in Alert Level 1. TAS continues to operate at Alert Level 1, however, the requirements for who we can support at Level 1 differs from when New Zealand was at the higher alert levels as people are able to move around the country and transport options have become more readily available.  

How can TAS help at Alert Level 1?

TAS can assist you to find temporary accommodation if you:

  • have a COVID-19 case in your household and need to  self-isolate away from them
  • are a close contact of a COVID-19 case and need to self-isolate away from vulnerable household members
  • are leaving a border quarantine/self-isolation facility but can’t return home (e.g. due to availability of travel)
  • are stranded in New Zealand and can’t access other welfare support.

Health and disability workers:

TAS is working with the Ministry of Health assisting DHBs to support patient facing workers find temporary accommodation. You can find further information about this here

Farm workers:

TAS is working with those who cannot access a service tenancy in the farming sector as a result of COVID-19. If you are a farm owner or farm worker and think you need support from TAS please register via the 0508 number on this page.

What happens after I register?

After registering your details, you will be contacted by a TAS team member. They will assess your needs and work with you to help you find suitable temporary accommodation.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19, been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or have cold or flu-like symptoms, please call the Ministry of Health on 0800 358 5453 first.

If you develop COVID-19 symptoms after entering temporary accommodation, such as a cough, fever, shortness of breath, sneezing or a runny nose, call your GP (doctor). If you do not have a GP, you can call Healthline on 0800 358 5453.

Is there a cost for temporary accommodation?

There is a cost for temporary accommodation and we will work with each individual who uses the service about how to meet this cost.

If people cannot meet the costs for temporary accommodation themselves or through the support of other agencies, they will still be supported through TAS with suitable temporary accommodation. This helps ensure the safety and wellbeing of everyone in the response to COVID-19.

What rules do I need to follow if I am self-isolating in temporary accommodation?

Some people in temporary accommodation will be there for strict self-isolation purposes which differ from Alert Level 1 requirements. Self-isolation means staying in your accommodation and taking common sense precautions to avoid close contact with people until you are no longer required to self-isolate.

Please read the Ministry of Health’s guidelines on self-isolation for all the information you need to know.

Ministry of Health’s guidelines on self-isolation [PDF, 1.5MB]

Further information and support

The dedicated government COVID-19 website has everything you need to know about COVID-19.

COVID-19 website

If you are a visitor to New Zealand please contact your Embassy or consulate for help first.

If you’re a New Zealand citizen or resident on a low income or benefit, you can contact Work and Income to see if you’re eligible for support.

Work and Income website

Jump to top