Accessibility and medical requirements

If someone in your household has medical requirements or mobility issues, we will look for options that can accommodate those needs.


We know pets are part of the family, so let us know if they need a place to stay too — we’ll look for an option that allows pets. If this isn’t possible, we will look into kennelling options.

If you have livestock, you probably need to stay close to home — we’ll look for options that suit your needs.

Applying on behalf of someone else..

You can register on behalf of someone else; follow the instructions on the registration form for the event they’re affected.

Emergency accommodation

The Temporary Accommodation Service provides accommodation to households whose home has been damaged by a natural disaster while their home is repaired or rebuilt, or if you need somewhere to stay before moving into  some new permanent accommodation.

If you need immediate, emergency accommodation following a natural disaster, please contact your local Civil Defence centre.

If you require emergency accommodation for a reason other than natural disaster, please contact the Ministry of Social Development(external link).

Financial assistance

Generally, there is a cost to access all temporary accommodation options. If you are uninsured, or your insurance policy doesn’t cover temporary accommodation, you may be eligible for financial assistance. Please speak to our staff who will direct you to agencies providing financial assistance for the event that has damaged your home.


Sometimes it’s not just the house that is damaged in a natural disaster, and you need furniture too.  Let us know and we can help you source what you need. 


Some insurance policies cover the cost of temporary accommodation; check with your insurance provider what your policy covers.

Insurance Council of New Zealand(external link) publishes guidance on their website for people working with their insurers.


If you are renting a property which has been damaged in a natural disaster, you should get in touch with your landlord a soon as possible. If repairs are needed, discuss when they will be done, whether you can stay in the property while repairs are underway, and whether your rent should be adjusted because of the damage.

Tenancy Services website(external link) provides guidance to tenants and landlords in the event of a natural disaster.

Jump to top