Information about applying for assistance

The Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) provides support to help people displaced by natural disasters find suitable temporary accommodation.

If you have been affected by a natural disaster which has rendered your home uninhabitable, and need temporary accommodation (or expect to need it in the future), please contact TAS for support. You can:

To register for temporary accommodation complete one of these forms:

Call 0508 754 163 or visit a Work and Income Service Centre or Recovery Assistance Centre.

Specific requirements

We can help if you have specific requirements or accessibility needs. When you apply for assistance, a MBIE temporary accommodation staff member will assess your specific needs and work with you to find a suitable temporary accommodation option.

Costs of temporary accommodation

Generally there is a cost for all temporary accommodation options.

Check with your insurance provider to see if your policy will cover any temporary accommodation rent. If not, you can contact MSD to see if you qualify for financial assistance.

Types of temporary accommodation

MBIE temporary accommodation staff members assess the individual needs of people who have been displaced by a natural disaster, and work with them to find suitable housing options.

Temporary accommodation used in response to a natural disaster may include undamaged residential housing stock, tourist accommodation, and bespoke solutions for people with unique needs.

To register for temporary accommodation complete one of these forms: